The calendar year 2020 has been a year unlike any in recent memory. Throughout the year, the Orthodox Jewish Chamber of Commerce has been at the forefront as a resource and advocate for business owners and employees throughout the United States and the world. In addition to our regular year-round whirlwind business development and job creation activities, the Chamber helped the business world and everyday members of the community through the unprecedented Covid-19 crisis.
The following is a partial list of our 2020 activity highlights. We hope and pray that 2021 will be an easier year for us all. The Chamber remains ready and active, working to help you and your business thrive through whatever the next year has in store!
Covid-19 Advocacy and Support
1. Appointed to Gov Phil Murphy’s NJ Restart & Recovery Advisory Council – serving as an advocate for business owners at the highest echelons. click here
2. Established-Covid 19 Business Relief Fund click Here
3. Launched Covid -19 Alert Center, helping businesses navigate Covid-19 related government programs and otherresources Click Here
4. Helped save the jobs of Crystals Springs Resort’s 1300 employees during the shutdown Click here
5. Organized/Hosted webinar series to help businesses in lockdown move online. Click Here
6. Worked with the White House and Dept of Labor to ensure Covid-19 rules are fair to both employers and employees –including providing for expanded family and medical leave for those impacted by the crisis.
7. Hosted virtual NJ Restart Conference with top government officials, helping business owners understand and influence reopening guidelines. Click Here
8. Assisted with SBA disaster loan applications.
9. Established division to help Breadwinners receive Unemployment stimulus
10. Assisted with NYC Employee Retention Program.
11. Partnered with State to distribute relief grants of up to$10k per business Click Here
12. Hosted multiple webinars with State & County officials to help businesses obtain grants Click Here
13. Launched “Help Stop the Spread Program,” which distributed tens of thousands of free masks to businesses and over 70 Synagogues. Click Here
14. Helped organize mass outdoor, no cost Covid-19 testing at Blue Claws stadium in Lakewood, which helped keep our businesses up and running. Click here
15. Held conference with leading members of the Governor’s office and Department of Health, to discuss help keep our businesses open and safe. Click Here
16. Governor Murphy retweets commitment to Chamber to keep our businesses open Click Here
Business Development and Networking
17. Hosted outdoor J Biz Expo, the only major business networking event in the northeast in the Covid-19 era. Prominent federal, state, county and local officials attended. Click Here
18. Hosted comprehensive Amazon Bootcamp seminars in the Catskills, Lakewood and Yerushalayim to help entrepreneurs succeed in this fast growing industry. Click Here
19. Launched Vocational Hair Styling Course for Women
20. OJC Internship Program, in partnership with Yeshiva University, invests in the next generation of business leaders.
21. Hosted Black Tie “Making your Business More Profitable” networking event at steakhouse Click Here
22. Co-sponsored Queens Business networking event Click Here
23. Wine & Network business networking event Click Here
24. Black Tie “Branding” networking event
25. Hosted meeting with Joe Vicari Ocean County Freeholder Chair to help stimulate economic development. Click Here
26. Hosted ribbon cutting ceremony for Lakewood restaurant, helping create 19 new jobs Click Here
27. Hosted Wall Street Business Empowerment Training program
28. Hosted President of Dubai Multi Commodity Center to promote international business networking. Click Here
29. Announced 2020 Business Awards program at the White House Click Here
Anti-Semitism and Homeland Security
30. Hosted NJ State Homeland Security Summit with Director of Homeland Security and leading law enforcement and community leaders, to collaborate on safety of Jewish community businesses and institutions following the Jersey City attack and acts of vandalism against Jewish businesses. Click Here WATCH ON USA TODAY
31. Worked with Governor Murphy to prevent Anti-Semitic backlash against open Jewish businesses. Click Here
32. Was leading member of global campaign to get Facebook to create a Comprehensive Hate Speech Policy on Anti-Semitism.
33. Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg advises Chamber that Facebook will implement bans on Holocaust denial anddistortion. Click Here
34. Launched successful petition to combat hate against Lakewood and Orthodox Jews. Click Here
35. Was featured on the front page of the Asbury Park Press, which applauded the Chamber’s efforts to stimulate the economy.
36. WNBC Radio show Fighting Anti semitism in the business World Click Here
37. Was presented with a Proclamation from NJ Senator Bob Singer & Ocean County area mayors to collaborate oneconomic development. Click Here
38. Participated in Brief to the US Supreme Court to protect religious freedom in discrimination cases Click Here
39. Reintroduced Historic “Presidential Collection” by celebrity artist Morris Katz in Honor of Jewish Heritage Month, highlighting the contributions, patriotism and appreciation of Jewish immigrants and their descendants have towards the United States. AP NEWS Click Here OJCNEWS
40. Launched “Life for Lyme” awareness and research efforts to combat Lyme Disease and related diseases. Read Dangers of Ticks Read MIshpacha A SINGLE BITE www.lifeforlyme.org
41. The Chamber, as a member of the COLPA coalition, helped influence the landmark US Supreme Court decisions that protects the rights of religious institutions to make employment decisions in accordance with religious values. Click Here
42. The Chamber participated in the Brief filed in the US Supreme Court, seeking to overturn the Trans World Airlines Inc. v Hardison precedent that made it easier for employers to terminate employees due to Sabbath observance. Click Here
43. Was acknowledged by White House with a gift for being a leader in stimulating Economic development.
44. Successfully lobbied the Trump Administration/ US Department of Labor to make federal grants available on a simplified basis for smaller foundations, benefitting chambers of commerce and nonprofits in all 50 states.
45. Introduced Economic Development Day Legislation Click Here
45. Invited to speak on The White House end of a year December 2020 call (with over 550 Faith Based National leaders in participation) thanking the Trump administration for modifying regulations so that religious organizations can equal to non-religious entities as federal contractors and recipients of various programs.
“We are stronger Together“
Not yet a member join us at